Room 711,7th Floor, General Mustafiz Tower, MIST.
Mirpur Cantonment, Dhaka-1216, Bangladesh.
Personal Site / Research page :
- Post-Doctorate (Structure)
National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore, May 2013-May 2014
Title: Structural analysis, design & optimum shape for 7-teeth rack & pinion for offshore jack-up rig
Adviser: Associate Professor Ang Kok Keng, Professor Koh Chan Ghee
National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore, March 2013
Dissertation Title: Interface Mechanics of CNT and Nanorope Reinforced Composites
Advisor: Associate Professor Ang Kok Keng
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) Bangladesh
BSc in Civil Engineering (Major Structure)
- NUS Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (June 2013-June 2014)
- NUS Graduate Research Scholarship (Jan, 2008-Dec, 2012)
- Champion of Geotechnical Tower Modeling Competition at NUS (2011)
- BUET Merit Award (2004-2006)
- Bangladesh Government Board Scholarships (2002-2006)
- Military Institute of Science & Technology, Department of Civil Engineering
Associate Professor; May 2014- Continue
- Project-1: Moving element method for railway track
- Project-2: Impact Analysis of Aircraft Landing on Flexible Pavement using Abaqus
- Project-3: Seismic vulnerability assessment for existing residential building in Dhaka
- Project 4: Application of base isolation and damping against Earthquake
- Project 5: Structural strengthening via retrofitting & jacketing
- Project 6: Compressive bond behavior of stainless steel (ss) rebar in concrete
- Project 7: Investigation of shear capacity steel fiber reinforced composites using Machine Learning
- Project 8: CFRP and GFRP reinforced rubberized concrete
- Project 9: ML technique for bearing capacity of Bolt Connection
- Project 10: SS reinforced Bridge Pier
- Project 101 Performance based seismic analysis of building structures
- National University of Singapore (NUS)
Research Fellow, June 2013 – June 2014
- Project-1 Title: Investigation of carbon nanotube in polymer using advanced computational techniques
- Project-2 Title: Nano-indentation to determine mechanical properties of nanocomposites using advanced FEM
- Singapore Amerine-NUS Joint Research Project
Research Engineer, February, 2013 – March 2014
- Project Title: Structural analysis, design & optimum shape for 7-teeth rack & pinion for offshore jack-up rig
- National University of Singapore (NUS)
PhD Research Scholar, January 2008–January 2012
- Project Title: Interface mechanics of CNT and Nanorope reinforced polymer composites
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Bangladesh
Final Year Project, April 2006–May 2007
- Project Title: Dynamic Behavior of Cable Stayed Bridge using Finite Element Method
- Professional Engineer (PEng) by BPERB (01/308)
- Member of American Society of Civil Engineers (M.ASCE)
- Institute of Structural Engineers (M.SEI)
- RAJUK Enlisted Engineer (DMINB/437)
- Member of Institute of Engineers Bangladesh (MIEB)
- Graduate Member of Institute of Civil Engineers (UK)
- Accredited Resident Engineer, Singapore by IES (RE No: 2420)
- Finite Element Analysis; Structural Analysis; Finite Element Modeling; Structural Dynamics
- Mechanics of Materials; Engineering, Applied and Computational Mathematics; Nonlinear Analysis
- FE Analysis; Solid Mechanics; Structural Stability; Fracture Mechanics; Polymerization; Dynamics
- Computational Mechanics; Finite Element Method; Applied Mechanics; Carbon Nanotubes
- Computational Structural Mechanics; Continuum Mechanics; Analytical Modeling
- Computational Solid Mechanics; Computational Analysis; Polymer Composites
- Computational Engineering; Smart Materials; Abaqus; Nanotubes; Analytical Mechanics
- Associate Professor, Department of CE, Military Institute of Science and Technology (MIST), Mirpur Cantonment, Dhaka-1216, Bangladesh. Duration: May, 2014 – Present.
- Project Manager & Engineer, UN MISSION at South Sudan, Banengr-18, (Jul 18-Jul 19)
- Research Fellow, National University of Singapore, Jun, 13 – May 14,
- Senior Design Engineer, RJ Crocker Consultants, Jan, 2012 – Jun, 2013
- PhD Research Scholar, National University of Singapore, Jan 2008 -Jan 2012
- Assistant Engineer, Akankha Developers Ltd, Jan 2007 – Dec 2007
- Military Institute of Science & Technology, Department of Civil Engineering
Associate Professor; May 2014- Continue
CE 101: Engineering Mechanics
CE311: Analysis & Design of Structure I
CE411: Analysis & Design of Structure III
CE 317: Design of Concrete Structure
CE319:Design of Steel Structures
CE419: Finite Element Analysis (LIN)
CE6109: Analysis & Design of Building Against Hazards
CE 6101: Finite Element Analysis I
CE 6106: Structural Stability & Dynamics
CE 6105: Analysis and Design of Structures against Hazards
CE 211: Structural Mechanics Sessional I
CE 319: Design of Steel Structure Sessional I
CE 410: Analysis and Design of Structure Sessional II
- National University of Singapore (NUS), Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Course Title: Structural Design & Materials (CE 2164)
- Course Title: Engineering Mechanics (EG 1109)
- Course Title: Computer Application in Civil Engineering; Micro station, AutoCAD & FORTRAN (CE 2409)
- Training Conducted (LECTURER)
- Training Course on “Professional Building & Bridge Design Using ETABS & SAP2000”, from 12 Dec 2014 to 9 Jan 2015 at MIST
- Training Course on “Professional Building Design Using ETABS 2015”, from 12 July 1 to July 9 2015 at MIST
- Lecture on Analysis & Design of Building Structure against Fire, 6th OCT 2015 at House Building Research Institute (HBRI)
- Training Course on Structural Analysis & Design of Building Structures as per BNBC 2014 Guideline using ETABS 2015 for PWD on 22-25 Feb 2016, at Allenbari, Tejgaon, Dhaka.
- Lecture on “Analysis and Design of Structure: Existing Guideline & Software application” at MIST on 9th March 2016
- Lecture on “Analysis and Design of Structures against Fire” at ICE-FIESTA 2018 at KUET, Khulna, Bangladesh
- Selected Training Attended
- Training Course on Fundamentals of Earthquake Resistant Building Design, arranged by BUET-JIDPUS on 26-28 February, 2015.
- Training on software REVIT & ROBOT structure for Building Intelligence Model (BIM) organized by RJ Crocker Consultant Pte. Ltd in Singapore on August 2012
- Training program for Teaching Assistants in October 2009 organized by Faculty of Engineering of National University of Singapore.
- Training Program on Software ABS & DLA on hydrodynamics and fatigue analysis for offshore structure in 2010 organized by ABS Singapore
- Training program on ‘Understating safety, health and environmental issues’ in September 2009 organized by Faculty of Engineering, National University of Singapore.
- Training program on ‘Risk Assessment Application Training’ in October 2008 organized by Faculty of Engineering, National University of Singapore.
- Training on Field Surveying organized by Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET) in November 2004
- Workshop on Performance based Design of Structures at MIST on 18 Dec 2017
- Workshop on Analysis and Design of Box Girder Bridges in 23-26 Dec 2017
- Training Program on Analysis and Design of Steel Bridges 14 Jan 2018.
- Training Program on Structural Vulnerability Assessment and Structural Health Monitoring by BUET-JIDPUS on 26 December 2015
- Attended “ Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) online Reviewers Conference 2018” at Institute of Engineers Bangladesh (IEB), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Training Program on “ Short Course on Construction Management” 2018 at MIST, Mirpur, Dhaka
- Attended Seminar titles “IUT-ACF Seminar on Sustainability of Concrete” at IUT, Gazipur, Bangladesh
- Short Course on Retrofitting of Structures by Professor Raquib Ahsan of BUET at MIST, Mirpur Dhaka 18-20 March 2017
- Short Course on Advance Bridge Design by Dr Muntasir Billah, at MIST, Mirpur, Dhaka, 23-26 Sep 2016
- Attended IABSE-JSCE Conference on Advances in Bridge Engineering-III, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 20 -21, Aug 2015.
- Ahmed, K.S., A.K. Keng, and K.C. Ghee, Stress and stiffness analysis of a 7-teeth pinion/rack jacking system of an Offshore jack-up rig. Engineering Failure Analysis, 2020. 115: p. 104623.
- Mahmud, R. and K.S. Ahmed, Interface dependency of reinforced concrete jacketing for column strengthening. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Structures and Buildings, 2020. 173(1): p. 31-41.
- Tabassum, T., and K. S. Ahmed. "Seismic performance of damper installed in high-rise steel building in Bangladesh." Journal of Civil Engineering, Science and Technology 9.1 (2018): 1-12.
- Ahmed K. S. and Ang K. K, Interface characteristics of nanorope reinforced polymer composites. Computational Mechanics, 2013: 52, p. 571-85. DOI 10.1007/s00466-013-0833-z
- Tabassum, T., & Ahmed, K. S. (2018). SEISMIC PERFORMANCE OF DAMPER INSTALLED IN HIGH-RISE BUILDING IN BANGLADESH. Journal of Civil Engineering, 9(1).
- Ahmed K. S. and Ang K. K., A pull-out model for perfectly bonded carbon nanotube in polymer composite, Journal of Mechanics of Material and Structures,2012: 7 (8), 753-64, DOI: 10.2140/jomms.2012.7.753
- Ang K. K. and Ahmed K. S., An improved shear-lag model for carbon nanotube reinforced polymer composites. Composites Part B: Engineering, 2013; 50, p.7-14. DOI:10.1016/j.compositesb.2013.01.016
- Ahmed K. S. and Ang K. K., Interface characteristics of carbon nanotube reinforced polymer composites using an advanced pull-out model, 2013: Computational Mechanics,DOI : 10.1007/s00466-013-0908-x
- Ahmed K. S. and Ang K. K., Static crack propagation of carbon nanotube through non-bonded interface of nanocomposite, 2013. World Journal of Nano Science and Engineering, 4, 42-49, DOI:10.4236/wjnse.2014.42007
- Ahmed K. S. and Ang K. K., Mechanical properties of perfectly bonded SWCNT reinforced composite by Berkovich nano-indentation using Advanced Finite Element Method, 2013. Composite Science & Technology (Under Submission)
- Ahmed K. S., I. Ibrahim and W. Islam, Wall thickness dependency of mechanical properties of nanocomposites using FEM approach, 2020. Computational Mechanics, materials science and engineering.
- Ahmed K. S. and Ang K. K., Spherical nano-indentaiton for determining mechanical properties of MWCNT based nanocomposites, 2013. Composite Part b: Engineering (Under Submission)
- Ahmed K S, A Tasnim and A Farzana, ” Seismic Performance Investigation of Base Isolation System for Typical Residential Buildings of Bangladesh, 2016, MIST Journal of Science and Technology, Vol-4 (1), pp 46-52
- Ahmed K S, M Riaz, INTERFACE DEPENDENCY OF REINFORCED CONCRETE JACKETING FOR COLUMN STRENGTHENING, 2017, MIST Journal of Science and Technology, Vol-5 (1), pp-111-121.
- Ahmed K. S., Ahmed A. (2010), Floating Production Storage and Offloading; LAP Lambert Academic Publishing; 108 Pages, ISBN 978-3-8383-3893-4
- Ahmed K. S., Ang K. K.; Load Transfer Mechanism of Nanotube Reinforced Composite Considering Coulomb Friction and Van der Walls Interactions. Proceedings of the Twenty-second KKCNN Symposium on Civil Engineering, October 31–November 2, 2009, The Imperial Mae Ping Hotel, Chiang Mai, Thailand, pp.331-336.
- Attended as guest in CORE‐NSRI SUBSEA SYMPOSIUM 2010: Subsea Challenges; Tomorrow’s Technologies ‐ Industry and Academic Perspectives 19th February 2010, Engineering Auditorium, National University of Singapore
- Ahmed K. S., Ang K. K.; An Improved Pullout Model for Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Composites. Proceedings of the Twenty-third KKCNN Symposium on Civil Engineering, November 13–15, 2010, Taipei, Taiwan; pp.41-44.
- Ahmed K. S.,Ang K. K.; Interface Characteristics of Nano-rope Reinforced Composites, Proceedings of the Twenty-fourth KKCNN Symposium on Civil Engineering, December 14–16, 2011, Hyogo, Japan; pp293-296
- Ahmed K. S., Ang K. K.; Interface Crack Propagation of Chemically Non-bonded CNT in Polymer, 1st International Conference on Mechanics of Composites, June 8-12, 2014, Stony Brook University, NY, USA.
- Attended IABSE-JSCE CONFERENCE ON ADVANCES IN BRIDGE ENGINEERING-III August 21-22 at Dhaka
- T. Tabassum1, N. Chowdhury2, K.S.Ahmed3 and Aziz Ahmed4 Seismic Performance of Mass Dampers for Typical Building Structures in Bangladesh, CICM-2015, December 14-15, MIST, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- T. Tasnim1, K. A Farzana2, K.S.Ahmed3 and Aziz Ahmed4 Seismic Performance Investigation of Base Isolation System for Typical Residential Building in Bangladesh, CICM-2015, December 14-15, MIST, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- M H Choudhury, K S Ahmed and S M Muniruzzaman, Experimental Investigation of Interface bonding between new and existing concrete for column retrofitting, CICM-2015, December 14-15, MIST, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- K. S. Ahmed, K K Ang & T H Hossain, Mechanical Properties of CNT Reinforced Composite Using Berkovich Nanoindentation Analysis, CICM-2015, December 14-15, MIST, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Proposed 9 storied office cum shopping center at kitchen Market, Mohakhali by DCC.
- Proposed 7 storied building at Abbas Garden, Mohakhali.
- Structural Analysis and Design Radisson Blue at Cox’s Bazar.
- Proposed Multipurpose Complex for SI & T at Jalalabad Cantt Sylhet.
- DCC Bridge on Washa Khal at Godiertek, Adabor for Dhaka North City Corporation.
- Proposed 2Basement + 16 Storey Academic Building (T3 and T4) for MIST at Mirpur Dhaka.
- Proposed four storied ware house for KUNG KENG garments Ltd at EPZ, Dhaka
- Proposed Swimming pool and other facilities for Army Golf Club Dhaka
- Structural Investigation for more than 50 residential building Mohakhali, Mirpur and Baridhara DOHS as part of approval for vertical extension
- Proposed 1 basement + 11 storey Shoping Complex at Mirpur DOHS
- Proposed 1 basement + 14 Storey Utility Building for MIST at Mirpur Cantt, Dhaka
- Analysis and Design of 2 Basement+ 16 Storey MIST combined Tower-3 and Tower-4 at Mirpur Cantt.
Design Projects (Singapore)
- ER389 Enhancement of Braddell Road West Bound from CTE to Toa Payoh North Flyover,
Land Transport Authority – Singapore
Analysis and Design of foundation, Road widening and strengthening, Pedestrian foot bridge
- Five Storey mixed development with an attic and Car park basement at 28 Seah Street, Singapore
Analysis and design of pile foundation, Civil Defence Shelter, Car park basement.
- Proposed laboratory facilities at block N3.1, N4.1 and N1.1 at Nanyang Avenue.
Nanyang Technological University (NTU) –Singapore
Analysis and design of superstructure, Foundation design
- Proposed Slope protection and repair between LWN Library and Sim-Tech Tower
Nanyang technological university (NTU)-Singapore
Slope protection by using Geosynthetics, Drainage system design and Ground improvement
- Proposed additions to the existing dormitory at 49d Holland Road, Singapore
Fransican Missionaries of Mary-Singapore
Geotechnical foundation design
Design Check (Singapore)
- Proposed a/a involving the addition of Modified Tafmer (MF) plant and shipping facilities to existing plant in existing petrochemical complex at 701 Ayer Merbau Road Singapore 627853
- Proposed extension of single-user industrial development comprising of packaging building, substation/ccr building, process unit, dryer/ dewatering and tank farm area atTembusu Road / Tembusu Drive, Jurong island for Lanxess butyl Singapore Pte Ltd
- Proposed erection of butyl polymerization unit, halogenation unit, i-plant, finishing and packaging buildings including ancillary facilities for single-user industrial development for Lanxess butyl Singapore Pte Ltd
- Proposed erection of a 6-storey multiuser research & development building with a basement car park at Cleantech view / Cleantech Loop (western water catchment)
- Proposed addition and alteration to existing seraya petrochemicals complex with addition of a Dpc plant at 61 Seraya Avenue for shell Chemicals Seraya Pte Ltd
- Proposed extension, additions and alterations to existing 4-storey Woodlands Ring Primary School at 11, Woodlands Ring Road (Woodlands Planning Area)
- Proposed erection of a 3-storey 66/22 kv substation at 32 Woodlands Height (Woodlands Planning Area)
- Proposed additions and alterations to existing 3-storey Nanyang Community Club with addition of a 4th storey at 60 Jurong West Street 91
- Proposed additions and alterations to existing HDB 2-storey Commercial Facilities (Rivervale Plaza) at Rivervale Drive
- Proposed equipment access platforms to existing steam turbine building at existing Senoko Power Station at 31 Senoko Road