Dr. -Ing. Sudipti Biswas
Department of Architecture, MIST
Field of Interest:
Human factors and ergonomics in built environment, disaster management and risk reduction, disaster management and urban open space, architecture education pedagogy, urban informality and sustainable practice, informality and urban planning, inner city urban blight and renewal.
Human factors and ergonomics, architectural design, history of architecture in South Asian region, urban design, research methodology.
- Doktor der Ingenieurwissenschaften (Doctor of Engineering) from Technische Universität Dresden (TU Dresden), Dresden, Germany in 2018.
- Masters of Science in Urban Management and Development (UMD) with specialization in Urban Environment and Infrastructure Management from the Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) at Erasmus Universiteit, Rotterdam, The Netherlands in 2008.
- Bachelor of Architecture from Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET) in 2006.
- Associate Professor, Department of Architecture, MIST, from July 2019 to date.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture, MIST, from January 2015 to June, 2019.
- Architect, InGrid Architects, Dhaka, Bangladesh, from January 2014 to December 2014.
- Doctoral researcher in the Dresden Leibniz Graduate School (DLGS) at Leibniz Institute of Ecological and Regional Development (IOER) in Dresden, Germany from January 2010 to March 2013.
- Lecturer, Department of Architecture, Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology (AUST) from October 2006 to December 2009.
Other Academic Involvements:
- Editor-in-Chief, FACERE (Annual Publication of the Department of Architecture, MIST)
- Organizer, Lecture Series for the Department of Architecture, MIST.
- Organizer, Technical Workshop Series for the Department of Architecture,MIST.
- Organizer, Memorial design Competition-50 Years of Bangladesh, 2021, MIST.
- Organizer, Workshop titled ‘Energy and Environmental Behaviour of Buildings’, 2019 in MIST.
- Organizer, Workshop titled ‘Parametric Design: Why and How?’, 2019 in MIST.
- Organizing Secretary, Architecture Week 2016, Architecture Fest 2017 and Architecture Festival 2018 in MIST.
- Organizing Secretary, seminar titled ‘Building Material: Innovation and Influence on Architecture’, 2018 in MIST.
- Convener, seminar titled ‘Environmental Responsibility of Architects and Local Practice’, 2017 in MIST.
- Organizing Secretary, seminar titled ‘Earthquake Resilient Buildings: Design Considerations for Architects’, 2016 in MIST.
- Organizer, Model Making Workshop, 2016 and 2018, in MIST.
- Member, Advisory Committee for the Department of Architecture, in MIST.
- Member, Committee of Courses, 2014, 2015 and 2016 in MIST.
- Faculty Representative of the Department of Architecture, MIST in the Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB).
- Member Secretary, Seminar and Workshop Organizing Committee in AUST.
- Research Monograph
- BISWAS, S. (2018) Urban Renewal in the Traditional Center of a Megacity: A Case Study of Shankhari Bazar, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Dr.-Ing. Faculty of Environmental Sciences, Technische Universität Dresden, Sächsische Landesbibliothek — Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Dresden (SLUB), Dresden. Available at http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:bsz:14-qucosa2-331351 .
- BISWAS, S. (2008) Exploring the closed material cycle: Investigating the case of small scale informal industries in Dholaikhal, Dhaka. MSc. In Urban Management and development,
- Journal Articles:
- BISWAS, S. (2022) Teaching Ergonomics in the Online Studio, in Journal of Design Studio, V.4, N.2, pp. 211-221.
- BISWAS, S. & SAHA, D. (2022) Students’ Perspective of Design Studio Assessment: The Case of MIST, Bangladesh, in Issues and Ideas in Education, Vol 10, Issue 2, pp. 77-92.
- BISWAS, S. (2021) Sustainable practices: Can’t We Learn from The Informal Sector?, in Journal of Technology Management for Growing Economies. Vol. 12, Issue2, pp. 1-19.
- BISWAS, S., KUNDU, G., & IMAM, C. A. (2021) Learning Human Factors/Ergonomics (HFE) in Architecture Education: A Study of Studio Approach in Bangladesh, in Creative Space. Vol. 9, Issue1, pp. 29-41. Available at: https://doi.org/10.15415/cs.2021.91003
- BISWAS, S. & SAHA, D. (2019) Open Space for Disaster Preparedness and the Bangladesh Perspective, in Disaster Advances, Vol 12, Issue 4, pp. 48-58.
- SAHA, D. & BISWAS, S. (2019) Dhaka in the Perspective of Urban Development Paradigm. International Journal of Architecture, Engineering and Construction. Vol 8, Issue 1, pp. 19-34. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.7492/IJAEC.2019.003
- MOWLA, Q. A. & BISWAS, S. (2009) Concepts of Sustainable Development: An Analytical Review. Journal of Administrative Studies, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Vol 02, June 2009, pp 5-16.
- Conference Proceedings
- BISWAS, S. (2010) Industrial Waste Management in The Informal Industries of Dhaka, ICBEN 2010: International Conference on Bangladesh Environment, Bangladesh Poribesh Andolon (BAPA) and Bangladesh Environment Network (BEN), Dhaka, January 3-4, pp775-785.
- Taufique, K. Z. H., SAHA, D & BISWAS, S. (2009) In Search for a new urban design research methodology suitable for Dhaka, a peripheral megacity, Conference on Urban Design Research: Method and Application, School of Architecture, Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, Birmingham City University, Birmingham, UK, December 3-4, pp 73-89.
- BISWAS, S. & SAHA, D. (2009) Life Cycle Assessment for Sustainable Development, ICETESE 2009: International Conference on Emerging Technologies in Environmental Science and Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, A.M.U. Aligarh, India, October 26-28.
- BISWAS, S. (2009) Sustainable development: Unexplored practices in Developing Countries, EESD 2009: International Conference on Energy, Environment, Sustainable Development, World Academy of Science and Technology, Paris. June 24-26, pp 172-184.
- Editor-in-Chief, FACERE (Annual Publication of the Department of Architecture, MIST)
- Member, Editorial Board, Creative Space (ISSN print: 2321-3892, ISSN online: 2321-7154)
- Reviewer, The Institute for Energy, Environment, Research and Development, UAP.
- Reviewer, Journal of Social and Development Sciences (ISSN 2221-1152)
- Reviewer, International Conference on STEM and the Fourth Industrial Revolution ( ICSTEM4IR 2022 ), KU.
- Reviewer, 2nd International Conference on Green Architecture (ICGrA 2018), BUET.
Selected Scholastic Awards:
- Abschlussfinanzierung im Rahmen des Stipendienprogramms zur Förderung von Nachwuchswissenschaftlerinnen funding program for women, Technische Universität Dresden, 2015.
- Dresden Leibniz Graduate School (DLGS) Fellowship, 2010-2013, for Doctoral Research in the DLGS, Dresden, Germany.
- Netherlands Fellowship Programme (NFP) scholarship, 2007-2008, for conducting Master Course held in IHS-Erasmus University, Rotterdam.
Selected Seminar, Conference and Workshop organization
- Organizer and coordinator, workshop titled Basic ArhiCad Workshop in Department of Architecture, MIST, October 26, 2022.
- Organizer and coordinator, workshop titled Parametric Architecture: Why and How in Department of Architecture, MIST, September 1-4, 2019.
- Organizer and coordinator, workshop titled Energy and Environmental Behavior of Buildings in Department of Architecture, MIST, March 15-16, 2019.
- Designated Speaker, in Vision D3: Dialogue Discourse Directive, Session 3:Architecture & Heritage organized by Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB), October 11, 2018.
- Reviewer, 2nd International Conference on Green Architecture (ICGrA 2018) organized by the Department of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET).
- Rapporteur, translator and organizing support, Urban Thinkers Campus (UTC), Dhaka 2017: Innovation, Identity and Designing of Intermediate Cities for The City We Need, jointly organized by International Union of Architects (UIA) –Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB), November 9-11, 2017.
- Participant, workshop titled Construction Project Management, organized by the Department of Civil Engineering, MIST, December 10-11, 2017.
- Participant, workshop titled Workshop on Preparation for Outcome Based Accreditation, organized by Institute of Engineers (IEB), December 12, 2017.
- Participant, 13th GrACe Technical Workshop on Sustainable Teaching: Planning and designing Sustainability in Architectural Teaching and learning Outcome, organized by the Green Architecture Cell (GrACe), Department of Architecture, BUET, December 6-7, 2017.
- Organizer and participant, seminar titled Jugend und Bildung, organized by STUBE SACHSEN, in Leipzig, April 9-9, 2012.
- Organizer and participant, seminar titled Brain drain or brain gain? Abwanderung von Fachkraften-personaliche und gesellchaftliche Folgen, organized by STUBE SACHSEN, in Dresden, December 16-18, 2011.
- Conductor, workshop titled Referencing with the EndNote at Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology (AUST), Dhaka, Bangladesh, August 30, 2009.
- Conductor, seminar titled Zero Waste Industrial Management in Bangladesh: Dholaikhal Experience and More, organized by Bangladesh Paribesh Andolon (BAPA), Dhaka, Bangladesh, May 22, 2009.
- Conductor, seminar titled Industrial Symbiosis: The journey from Kalundborg to Dholaikhal and more, at Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology (AUST), Dhaka, Bangladesh, June 30, 2009.
- Conductor, seminar titled Sustainable Industrial Development: Linking Theories to Practices, at Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET), July 4, 2009.